While the Disney film adaptation of the musical currently plays in cinemas, a local chamber version of Into the Woods will soon be hitting Manila – and they’re doing it with a twist!
Classical theater troupe Upstart Productions Inc., will be staging a close to reality interpretation of the musical in Kasalikasan Garden BGC under the helm of Director Joel Trinidad together with a mix of veteran and upcoming theater actors.
Into the Woods tells the stories of Cinderella, Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood, and a host of other fairy tale characters that reveals an alternative take on the fate of these well loved characters.
Listed below are some trivia about the local adaptation:
- Into the Woods is the second musical that Upstart Productions will be staging at Kasalikasan BGC after the highly successful Forbidden Broadway. Director Joel says he’s really thankful he found the perfect venue to hold the musical, adding that he’s been a fan of the material ever since.
- Working alongside the director is his father, Noel Trinidad (more recently known as Roberto Lim, the father of Sir Chief in the hit TV series, Be Careful With My Heart), who plays as the narrator.
- Another veteran actress, Rachel Alejandro, gets to play Merryl Streep’s role as the witch.
- When asked as to what is that the biggest challenge they had, the cast responded in unison, saying they find the music of Sondheim to be challenging. Mica Pineda, who will be portraying the role of Cinderella, added that finding their own way of breaking the stereotype is also hard especially since Cinderella here is somebody who actually goes out there to get what she wants.
- The two girls playing as Cinderella’s stepsisters are real life siblings, Jill Peña and Justine Peña.
- Director Joel takes pride in showcasing one of his recent discoveries, Jillian Ita-as from Ilo-ilo, who gets to act at her first Manila-based play as Little Red Riding Hood.
- Playing as the Baker and his wife is Lorenz Martinez and Sheila Valderrama-Martinez, real life husband and wife. So expect really natural chemistry between the two, says director Joel.
- The director also claims that there will be different celebrity guests for each of the eight performances. But it will be a surprise as to who will play when.
- VIP P1,200
- Orchestra P1,100
- Gallery P1,000
- February 21
- February 22
- February 28
- March 1
- March 7
- March 8
- March 14
- March 15
Venue: Kasalikasan Garden, BGC
Time: 6:00 pm
Upstart Productions Inc. and AVIVA present Into The Woods. Also brought to you by Picasso Boutique Services Residences and Plana FORMA. Tickets available from Ticketworld, call 8919999 or email Upstart Prod. directly at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.